Bachelor of Arts in Social Work
Bachelor of Arts in Social Work is a four year academic program under Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences of Tribhuvan University. Major aim of this program is to produce generalist social workers to fulfill the need of contemporary Nepal as well as the world. In order to achieve this goal, it offers altogether 8 papers including compulsory field work, research work, academic writing and report writing courses in different semesters. These courses, apart from core courses of social work, also include various required courses from related disciplines, and some optional courses in the third and fourth year including some specialization courses. In addition, there are few compulsory courses such as Nepali, English, Nepal Studies, and Academic Writing.
Objectives of BSW
The overall objective of the courses of bachelor level is to impart up-to-date knowledge of the basic theories and methods of Social Work to the students along with skills developed through intensive fleld-work. The main objective is to provide general skilled human resources for social work in the context of Nepal. In addition, it also aims to inculcate in the students the spirit of human rights and social justice. Thus, the overall objective of this level is to produce skilled human resource through developing professional skills among the students of this discipline at a par with those of other countries. In specific the bachelor level Social Work program aims to develop the following:
- Understanding of the basic concepts of social work; principles, methods, and practice.
- Carry out research to identify the problems faced by the community people and possible solutions to those problems.
- Developing ability to identify major social problems in the context they are situated.
- Managing and utilizing the service system to solve the problem among those affected people.
- Developing self-awareness in relation to one’s own capability responding to problem situations