Win fully-funded opportunity to participate in the Charity Entrepreneurship Incubation Program 2020 in London.
Deadline for early application: January 15, 2020 (The late application begins only in March, 2020)
Cost of participation: NONE
Program Date: June 29 to August 28, 2020
Eligible Region: Worldwide
About the program
Charity Entrepreneurship Incubation Program is a two-month, fully cost-covered boot camp that will take you from a basic familiarity with starting charities to being fully prepared to create and operate an effective organization. The program will be held from June 29 to August 28 in London, UK.
Management, fundraising, impact analysis – everything you need to know will be taught by mentors who have experience establishing multiple EA charities. All costs are covered if you are accepted into the program. This includes tuition, accommodation, any flights needed, and a modest living stipend.
How it works
- THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED IDEAS
Each year their research team spends thousands of hours researching potential charity ideas, building on large bodies of research by external organizations. Only the best interventions make it onto their list of top charity ideas. 1/3 2.
- INCUBATION PROGRAM
They choose participants who, in their view, have the greatest potential to start new, effective charities from their list. They then provide them with two months of intensive training
They give you seed funding, legal support, and connections to donors, mentors, and potential employees who all want to see you succeed. The rest is up to you!
After the program, you will be required to start a charity for the following reasons:
- $215,000 TO CHARITIES – Achieve an impact equivalent to about $215K/year in donations to effective charities
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED – Pursue a career that is highly encouraged by GiveWell and supported by the Open Philanthropy Project
- BETTER INTERVENTIONS – Move resources toward more cost-effective, evidence based interventions
- CAPACITY BUILDING – Increase your future impact by gaining entrepreneurial experience directly from EA mentors
The full program costs will be covered by independent donors who support the idea of getting new, effective charities on their feet. These costs include:
- ACCOMMODATION: Attendees will be staying in an Airbnb within 30 minutes of the office. If you are from London, they will cover a reasonable rent cost for the duration of the program.
- FOOD: You will receive a daily allowance of $25 to cover your basic expenses.
- FLIGHTS: We will cover transportation costs, including international flights. They can get the required visas for people from most countries.
What they offer:
- FUNDING, LEGAL SUPPORT, AND OFFICE SPACE: Their seed funding will give you a strong start. New organizations will receive seed grants of up to $100,000 per cofounding team. They’ll handle initial legal hurdles so that you have time to focus on what matters. You’ll also be able to use their co-working space for one year, free of charge, to work on your new charity. A
- POWERFUL NETWORK: Tap into Effective Altruism’s powerful, worldwide network of mentors, funders, and skilled workers. We’ll feature you in our networking events and connect you to the right people. ONGOING
- MENTORSHIP AND ASSISTANCE: You’ll be trained directly by our team for two months, during which time we’ll pay for your tuition, flights, meals, and housing. After you graduate, we continue to provide one-on-one mentorship weekly for up to 12 months after the charity’s founding.
- If you are dedicated to doing good, willing to follow the data, and have a strong interest in having a significant impact on the world — apply to the program.
- Doctorates, college dropouts, established professionals with children, and recent graduates have all founded charities through our program.
- The base traits that make a good charity entrepreneur include grit, intelligence, resourcefulness, the ability to self-motivate, and risk tolerance.
- They accept candidates of all ages, from a wide range of backgrounds.
All participants are free to submit several ideas.
Early applications to 2020 Incubation Program are now open.
Fill out the application form to apply. If your application progresses, there will be a series of interviews and test tasks. Applying to the early round instead of the later one (which starts in March) will increase your odds of getting into the program.
You will be notified mid-March on whether you have been shortlisted to pitch your idea to the jury in Graz.
Click HERE to apply.
For more information, visit Charity Entrepreneurship