Applications for the 2020 Hansen Leadership Institute program are now open with fully-funded travel opportunity to USA.
Deadline: January 15, 2020
Program Date: July 1 to July 23, 2020
Cost of Participation: Fully-funded
About the program
The Hansen Leadership Institute is an exciting international program funded by a generous grant from the Fred J. Hansen Foundation. The Hansen Leadership Institute provides a unique University-based leadership experience and program in international cooperation. For three weeks, young American men and women joined students from a variety of developing countries and regions of social strife. We are happy to announce the Hansen Summer Institute will host its tenth group of young leaders in July 2019 at the University of San Diego School of Leadership and Education Sciences (SOLES).
A primary goal of the program focuses on creating an international community of young scholars who will use their summer experience as a foundation for creating lasting friendships and acquiring a common, practical understanding of a more peaceful future. Program elements will involve classroom instruction and hands-on training in the latest techniques of conflict resolution, mediation, and intercultural management. Classroom 1/3 training will complement local excursions to San Diego historical attractions and cultural events such as a fourth of July parade, a Padres baseball game, and a harbor cruise. Hansen Summer Institute training aims to provide participants a “leadership toolbox” for resolving conflict and building a better future for their respective countries.
The Hansen Summer Institute is fully-funded by the Fred J. Hansen Foundation. This includes international airfare, room and board, and all programmatic costs. If selected the only cost to participants will be the fees incurred in obtaining a passport and spending money.
ALL APPLICANTS: Successful applicants must demonstrate leadership potential by having worked outside of class in community service, another public service, or in a nongovernmental organization. A letter of reference from such a group or organization is required.
NON – US STUDENTS:
- Upper division undergraduate with 2 years of college/university or graduate student with a professional interest in international relations, diplomacy, international economic development or related fields.
- Students must be between the ages of 20-25 on July 1, 2020.
- Must have demonstrated leadership potential outside of the classroom in the community, nation or region.
- Have an academic adviser verify in writing the candidate’s English proficiency. (A verification request is automatically sent to your referee with the recommendation request.)
- Have a valid international passport with US visa if necessary by the time the program begins.
Click HERE to apply
For more information, visit Hansen Leadership Institute